Blog Postings

The postings will be introductions to each of my life lists. The lists themselves will appear in the side margin. I shall do some postings about particular localities and there will also be postings to provide updates every time I add a new species.
Please note that I am not qualified in any aspect of natural history - there will therefore be occasional (or, apparently, in the case of the hoverflies, a lot of) errors.

Wednesday 15 June 2011

Corncrakes

 


I have often heard Corncrakes on the Isle of Lewis and in the last time I went up there there was one creaking away in the grass between Pat and Dave's and GB's. The previous year GB and I heard a few competing with each other beside the car park by the Gearrannan Black House Village. But I have never seen one.

I knew from pictures what they looked like but nevertheless I was surprised at how small they are when I saw a stuffed Corncrake family at Chester Museum.

(It is worth recording here that when Mum was young they could be heard calling in the fields opposite her house on Queens Drive, Broad Green, Liverpool. Such has been their decline since then that one has to go to the Hebrides to have much hope of hearing one.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome - comments are nearly always appreciated (the exception being those that simply advertise which don't make it past my moderation so please, don't bother).