Blog Postings

The postings will be introductions to each of my life lists. The lists themselves will appear in the side margin. I shall do some postings about particular localities and there will also be postings to provide updates every time I add a new species.
Please note that I am not qualified in any aspect of natural history - there will therefore be occasional (or, apparently, in the case of the hoverflies, a lot of) errors.

Tuesday 9 September 2008

Four birds in fourteen years...

 


No, that heading is not a reference to adultery! It's a reference to my abject failure to add to my lifetime list of avian fauna since 1994. At that time it stood at 166 British species seen in the wild. Since then I have added a few Long-eared Owls seen on various trips to the caravan in N Wales; some very distant Little Egrets at Dawlish Warren; a number of Choughs on the Lleyn Peninsula; and a Water Rail at Stover Country Park the other day. So my life list now stands at 170 species.

I suspect my gradually failing eyesight has been a contributory factor but I've also spent a lot of my country walks looking at invertebrates six inches from my nose and ignoring the birdlife. Even so it is a very poor record. I shall have to take my monocular around with me and look up a bit more.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome - comments are nearly always appreciated (the exception being those that simply advertise which don't make it past my moderation so please, don't bother).